Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is one of those recipes that you start to make early on in the day and simmer all day, for the best flavor. Make this on a chilly day and it will warm you from head to toe. Freeze any leftovers; pull out and thaw when you get that nasty winter cold or just need a quick lunch or dinner. Even though the title states "pot pie" noodle, bow tie noodles have always been used in this soup; something I grew up with. When my mom cooks it, she will sometimes add some thin sliced diced celery and/or a peeled, whole onion to the pot, just for taste, and removes the onion prior to serving.
- Place chicken in a medium to large stockpot; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 2 hours to make a nice stock.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube potatoes.
- Reserving broth, remove chicken; cool.
- Remove meat from bone and cut up into bite size pieces and return to the same pot with the reserved broth.
- Add peeled, cubed potatoes.
- Add the broth, base, pepper and garlic powder.
- Simmer uncovered, for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, about a 30 minutes prior to serving, start to boil noodles, drain.
- Ladle soup into bowls and add cooked noodles.
- Serve with warm buttered bread.