Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Using TVP chunks you can find at any health food store, skim or non-dairy milk, no crisco / shortening, you can make a really healthy chicken pot pie. And it's definitely a quick meal from start to finish, including making the pie crusts. Hope you enjoy
- 1 cup carrot, chopped however small you like them
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄4 cups textured vegetable protein, aka TVP- unflavored chunks
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth to rehydrate the TVP)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon safflower oil (or other vegetable oil- safflower & sunflower oils are best for cholesterol lowering, supposedly)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2⁄3 cup milk (of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons Egg Beaters egg substitute (used on top of each crust)
- 2 -9 inches pie crusts, double World's Easiest Pie Crust - Vegan but with only 1/2 of the sugar. Do not forget the OJ
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.).
- In a saucepan, combine 1-1/4 C broth, carrots & peas. Bring to boil & simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat & drain the broth onto the TVP. Push the TVP down to be sure to hydrate all. Allow to hydrate for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet or saucepan over medium heat, cook onions & celery in oil until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring regularly until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While your onions are cooking, make a double recipe of pie crust #171844, but reduce sugar to 1/2 and substitute 1/2 of the oil with unsweetened applesauce. Do NOT omit the OJ. Use lightly floured plastic wrap on your counter and roll out 1/2 the pie crust. Invert it into your pie pan, being sure you mend holes by using your fingers.
- Brush 1 teaspoon eggbeater (opt.) onto bottom crust.
- Combine TVP, peas & carrots. Pour into bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Roll out the 2nd pie crust, again on floured plastic wrap. Flip it onto your pie, seal edges & cut away excess dough.
- Brush 1 teaspoon eggbeaters (opt.) on top crust. Make several small slits in the crust to allow for steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.