1 hr 25 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
I developed this recipe for one of my favorite dishes ever since I was a kid. NOTE: You could purchase 2 ready made pie crusts, one for the bottom & one for the top. This would eliminate the making of the dough.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs chicken breasts (with skin & bones, or more)
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup peas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- salt & pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR PIE DOUGH
- 1Cut 1 carrot& 1 rib of celery into large dices,& peel& quarter 1 yellow onion.
- 2In a large stockpot, place the chicken, diced carrot& celery, the 1 quartered onion, 1 bay leaf,& the peppercorns.
- 3Cover with water& bring to a boil over high heat… Lower heat to a simmer& cook the chicken 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- 4Skim off the foam that may form on the surface.
- 5Remove the chicken from the pot& allow to cool.
- 6Strain the stock into a clean stockpot& reduce over high heat to 3 cups& then allow to cool.
- 7Skin& bone the chicken, discarding the skin& bones.
- 8Cut the meat into 1” pieces& set aside.
- 9Make the pie dough by combining the flour& salt in a medium bowl.
- 10Add the butter& work with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 11Using the tines of a fork, stir in the water 1 tablespoon at a time,& work with your hands until a smooth ball forms, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- 12Wrap in plastic& refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 13Note that you are setting aside the 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water to be used later as an egg wash.
- 14Peel& dice the remaining 2 carrots, onion,& the remaining 2 stalks of celery.
- 15In a medium pot, blanch the carrots& peas in boiling water for about 2 minutes, until just cooked through.
- 16Drain& set aside.
- 17Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 18In a large skillet or pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- 19Sautè the onions& celery about 3 minutes until soft.
- 20Add the garlic& mushrooms to the skillet or pot& continue cooking until the mushrooms are soft& give off their liquid, which should take about 5 minutes.
- 21Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of flour into the vegetable to make a roux, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes to slightly thicken.
- 22Add the wine, cream& cold stock, stirring well.
- 23Add the chicken& parsley& season to taste with salt& pepper.
- 24Remove from heat& set aside.
- 25Remove the dough from the refrigerator& place onto a floured surface.
- 26Roll out the dough more than twice as large as the baking dish or pan that you intend to use.
- 27Spray the entire inside of the baking dish with Pam to prevent the crust from sticking.
- 28Gently transfer the dough to the baking dish placing half of the dough into the dish with the other half hanging over, which will cover the top of the pie.
- 29Pour the entire chicken mix into the dish.
- 30Take the overhanging dough& cover the pie, crimping around the entire pie with your fingers.
- 31Brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water).
- 32With either a fork or a knife, make small slits over the top of the crust.
- 33Bake until the crust is a light golden brown& the contents are hot& bubbly, which should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (3711 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6655.5
- Calories from Fat 3389
- Total Fat 376.6 g
- Saturated Fat 175.8 g
- Cholesterol 1904.4 mg
- Sodium 4300.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 341.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.0 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 442.1 g