Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
I developed this recipe for one of my favorite dishes ever since I was a kid. NOTE: You could purchase 2 ready made pie crusts, one for the bottom & one for the top. This would eliminate the making of the dough.
- 4 lbs chicken breasts (with skin & bones, or more)
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup peas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- salt & pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR PIE DOUGH
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cut 1 carrot& 1 rib of celery into large dices,& peel& quarter 1 yellow onion.
- In a large stockpot, place the chicken, diced carrot& celery, the 1 quartered onion, 1 bay leaf,& the peppercorns.
- Cover with water& bring to a boil over high heat… Lower heat to a simmer& cook the chicken 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- Skim off the foam that may form on the surface.
- Remove the chicken from the pot& allow to cool.
- Strain the stock into a clean stockpot& reduce over high heat to 3 cups& then allow to cool.
- Skin& bone the chicken, discarding the skin& bones.
- Cut the meat into 1” pieces& set aside.
- Make the pie dough by combining the flour& salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter& work with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using the tines of a fork, stir in the water 1 tablespoon at a time,& work with your hands until a smooth ball forms, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Wrap in plastic& refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Note that you are setting aside the 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water to be used later as an egg wash.
- Peel& dice the remaining 2 carrots, onion,& the remaining 2 stalks of celery.
- In a medium pot, blanch the carrots& peas in boiling water for about 2 minutes, until just cooked through.
- Drain& set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet or pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Sautè the onions& celery about 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic& mushrooms to the skillet or pot& continue cooking until the mushrooms are soft& give off their liquid, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of flour into the vegetable to make a roux, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes to slightly thicken.
- Add the wine, cream& cold stock, stirring well.
- Add the chicken& parsley& season to taste with salt& pepper.
- Remove from heat& set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator& place onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough more than twice as large as the baking dish or pan that you intend to use.
- Spray the entire inside of the baking dish with Pam to prevent the crust from sticking.
- Gently transfer the dough to the baking dish placing half of the dough into the dish with the other half hanging over, which will cover the top of the pie.
- Pour the entire chicken mix into the dish.
- Take the overhanging dough& cover the pie, crimping around the entire pie with your fingers.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water).
- With either a fork or a knife, make small slits over the top of the crust.
- Bake until the crust is a light golden brown& the contents are hot& bubbly, which should take about 10 to 15 minutes.