Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 lb boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 pie crusts (frozen or from your favorite recipe)
- Combine the chicken pieces, carrots, and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer covered for 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and flour and stir to thoroughly mix.
- Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream and peas and stir for 2 minutes.
- Roll the pastry into 12 circles about 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter.
- Place half in the bottoms of six 5-inch pie pans and fill with the chicken mixture.
- Top with the remaining dough and pinch the edges together, trimming off the excess with a knife.
- Cut 2 or 3 slits in the top of each and bake in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
I love chicken pot pie - it is my one of my favorite comfort foods!!! This recipe is definitely going to my comfort food file! Very good, easy to make & I love that it does not call for canned soup. I added one diced potato with the chicken & carrot - just because I wanted some potato - it was delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe
Oops I forgot my comments! this was very good, changed nothing, my son very much liked it, I gave a tiny bit to the baby and she ate it too! thanks Mimi
I made this for St. Patrick's day dinner - it was really good! The flavor was excellent. I took Rushed 4 Time's suggestion in her review and added a few extra spices - some poultry seasoning and parsley and more salt and thyme than it called for. It turned out really good. The only thing was the overall cook & prep time was about 1.5 hours instead of 45 minutes - about 50 - 60 minutes pre-oven and 35 mins in the oven. Really good though - I'd make it again!