Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I couldn't find one that suited my way of cooking so I researched a lot of the recipies on this and other sites and used some of the ingredients and methods from other recipes to create this one. I used the Bisquik for the top crust because it was easy and quick but I'm sure pie crust would work well to.You'll notice the choice of oregano or marjoram. The marjoram is similar in taste but milder which i think is better in this recipe. It you don't have it use oregano. This is packed with flavour and quite easy to make. Hope you enjoy.
- 4 -5 lbs cooked chicken, cubed
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 large carrots, cubed
- 1 large onion, cubed (I like to add some green onions and chives for color and extra flavour )
- 2 stalks celery, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup peas (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chicken stock powder
- 1 (370 ml) can evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste I use more)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram (or 1/4 teaspoon oregano but not both)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Boil your chicken in the water.
- When the chicken is done remove it to cool and add the raw vegetables to the chicken broth and boil until they're almost done.You don't want them to get mushy.
- Remove the vegies from the broth to another container.
- Make a roux with the butter and flour. ( melt the butter and stir in the flour over low heat ).
- Add this to about 1 1/2 cups of your broth along with the evaporated milk.
- Add your spices and the dehydrated chicken broth.
- Simmer this over medium heat until it becomes thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in your vegies and chicken.
- I cook the pie in the same pot that I boiled the chicken and vegies but if you prefer you can use a large caserole dish or whatever you have.
- Mix together the Bisquik,egg and milk.
- Pour over the top of your pot pie.
- Put in a 400F preheated oven for approx 40 minute or until crust is a golden brown and the juices are bubbling.