Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a healthy version of one of my favorite comfort foods. I hope you enjoy it, too! If you can't find olive oil cooking spray, use a pastry brush to lightly coat each phyllo sheet with olive oil. Also, to prevent pastry from drying out, work with 1 sheet at a time, keeping the others covered.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (each 14 inch by 9 inch)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sprinkle thyme and 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper even over chicken.
- Lightly coat 12-inch skillet with olive oil spray and heat on medium-high.
- Add chicken in single layer and cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning pieces over once halfway through cooking; transfer to plate.
- To same skillet, add onion and 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and scraping up browned bits.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in parsnips, carrots and celery, then add remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.
- Heat, to boiling on high.
- Cover, and reduce heat to maintain simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- While vegetables cook, place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface; spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Top with another sheet.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and olive oil spray, lightly coating top sheet with olive oil spray.
- In small bowl, stir cornstarch into water to dissolve; stir into vegetable mixture and simmer 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peas, chopped parsley, reserved chicken, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat to simmering, then transfer to 13" by 9" baking dish.
- Center phyllo on top, tucking in edges if necessary, then cut 5 slits in phyllo.
- Bake 15 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown.