Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 2008 cookbook, Taste of Home Dinner on a Dime. The cooking time (55 minutes) is for an unfrozen pie, while the cooking time for a frozen pie is 1 hour & 50 minutes.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Made as posted except used 1/2 the onions. Enjoyed the flavors in this too. Very filling, though next time I might cut down the ingredients a tad, and add something else with the other veggies. Made for PRMR tag
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 3⁄4 cups carrots, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken breasts, cooked, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie (need enough for 2 pies!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes & carrots in a steamer, then cover & steam for 7 to 9 minutes or until just crisp-tender. Remove from steamer & set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, then stir in the flour, salt, thyme & pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in the broth & milk, then bring to a boil & cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, peas, corn, potatoes & carrots, then remove from the heat.
- Line two 9-inch pie plates with pastry, trimming the pastry even with the edge.
- Fill the pastry shells with the chicken mixture, then roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of each pie. Cut slits in the top pastries to vent & place them over the filling, before trimming, sealing & fluting the edges.
- At this time the pies can be chilled in the refrigerator before covering & freezing them (for up to 3 months), or do that to one of the pies & bake the other.
- If baking the unfrozen pie, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, then bake the pie for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
- TO BAKE A FROZEN PIE ~ Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, then shield the frozen pie crust edges with foil before placing the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F & bake 70 to 80 minutes longer or until the crust is bolden brown.