Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
So easy and so good.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups cut-up chicken or 2 1⁄2-3 cups turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to separate; drain.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and peas and carrots; remove from heat.
- Roll one pastry to 12-inch circle.
- Place in ungreased 9x9x2-inch pan.
- Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined pan.
- Place remaining circle over chicken mixture; roll other pastry into 12-inch circle; place over chicken mixture.
- Turn edges of pastry under and flute.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
This was so easy and so good. My family ate it up.
My husband loved this! And my toddler ate all her veggies without me having to sneak them! Since DH and DD are dairy free i used soymilk and dairy free butter. I did add cubed potato (1/2 of a large baking potato). Next time, I will use dark meat. The chicken breast I used got a little too dry. Also, it was too onion-y for me, so I will reduce the amount of onion... And maybe a little more seaonings, it was a bit bland for my taste. Thank you again!
I altered this recipe slightly to accomodate the leftovers in my fridge. First of all, I used turkey rather than chicken. I did not use a frozen pea and carrot blend, but did combine leftover (frozen) peas, feshly grated carrot, a handful of frozen corn and a handful of frozen green beans. I also sauteed sliced mushrooms with my onions. The biggest change that I made was to not use pie crust. I had some leftover stuffing to which I added a beaten egg, a little chicken broth and about 1/2 cup of fresh bread crumbs. I poured the turkey, vegetable and gravy combo in a casserole and topped with the dressing mixture. I baked it until the top of the dressing was crunchy. My husband had 2 helpings. Great way to use up leftovers!