Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I came up with this and it was fairly easy and had it on the table just a little over an hour! My kids loved it and it's such great comfort food to eat on a cold day. I used both chicken breasts and chicken thighs, as they were all I had in my freezer at the time, but you can you all white or all dark meat, whatever you prefer. I like to use both for great flavor! You can also use your leftover turkey for turkey pot pie, or use any leftover meat and it will taste great!
- 5 chicken tenders or 5 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 -3 potatoes
- 2 -3 carrots or 1⁄2 cup baby carrots
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 12 ounces chicken stock
- 10 ounces canned milk or 10 ounces buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Turn oven onto 400°F.
- In a skillet pan, spray the pan with nonstick spray and add the chicken. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper. Brown the chicken until no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile. Peel and chop the onions, potatoes, and carrots. Keep the potatoes and carrots in small pieces. I used baby carrots and sliced them up in thirds.
- In a medium pot, add about 1 tablespoon butter and saute the onions with about 1/2 tsp salt and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots and stir well with the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and canned milk season with pepper, lemon pepper, and sage. Put a lid on the pan and allow them to simmer for about 10-15 minutes and softened.
- By this time the chicken should be done, remove the chicken from the pan and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Make the pie crust topping. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and milk. Stir well. Knead the dough a couple of times to allow it to be rolled. Roll out with a rolling pin into a large circle.
- Go back to the vegetables and add the frozen peas and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Cut up the chicken into small pieces (Or you can add the leftover meat) and add to the pot of vegetables. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Pour the mixture into a deep dish pie dish or other round glass baking dish.
- Lay the pie crust on top of the mixture and pinch down the sides to keep the vegetables inside. Cut 4 slits on top. Cook for about 15-20 minutes and the pie crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for about for about 10 minutes and enjoy!