Recipe by DianneF
This is a family favorite - even my mom asks for it. Great fresh taste that is nothing like the frozen version. This pot pie has only the top crust
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 carrots
- 6 red potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place frozen pastry on a dry surface to thaw before unfolding. Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Scrub potatoes and peel carrots. Thinly slice the potatoes. Cut carrots into small bite size pieces.
- In a 3-4 quart pan, combine broth, chicken, potatoes, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil then cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour in a jar or other closed container and shake.
- Pour flour mixture in the pan with the other ingredients and stir constantly. Bring mixture back to a boil then reduce heat (stirring constantly) and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in peas.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Unfold pastry and place over the filling. Brush top of pastry with egg .
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry puffs and is a nice golden brown.