Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is definitely comfort food! I came across a recipe several years ago and changed it to suit my taste. I hope you all like it as much as my family and I do! For the pie crust I use the kind that you unroll and lay into your dish-not the kind that already come in their own dish.
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (for double crust)
- 1 egg
- kosher salt
- Cook frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a sauce pan cook onion in butter until tender but do not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, sage and pepper.
- Add chicken broth, milk and boullian all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for two more minutes.
- Stir in cooked vegetables and chicken.
- Heat through.
- Lay one pie crust in pie plate and fill with cooked mixture.
- Top with second pie crust.
- Flute or crimp edges.
- Cut slits in pie to allow steam to escape.
- Slightly mix egg with a small amount of water.
- Top crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake until crust is golden about 20 minutes. Edges can be covered with foil to prevent burning.