Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is lengthy but easy. It is my favorite comfort food and makes a great gift. I made these in individual sized (7 ounce) ramekins and gave to all of my close friends for Christmas gifts last year.
- 3 lbs roasting chickens, whole & cleaned
- 1 gallon water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped roughly
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 cup white pearl onion, frozen
- 1⁄4 cup corn, frozen
- 3 tablespoons parsley, freshly chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- To make chicken & chicken Stock:.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a very large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 45-60 minutes. Be careful not to over boil. You want a nice clear chicken stock. Remove chicken and continue to cook stock for 15-20 minutes to intensify the flavor. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Discard solids.
- When chicken is cool enough to work with, shred meat and discard skin and bones.
- Melt butter in a clean stockpot. Add flour. Cook and whisk constantly until a brown paste forms. Be careful not to burn this roux.
- Gradually add 8 cups of the chicken stock, whisking as you add a cup or two at a time. This will ensure no lumps exist. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook until the mixture looks like cream chicken soup. Season with salt & pepper.
- Fold in peas, onions, corn, carrots and chicken. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add fresh parsley. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cut puff pastry into circles in the shape of your individual sized ramekins. You can also make a large family style pie, depends on your preference.
- Fill casserole dishes with stew mixture. Place pastry on top and seal around edges. Cut a few small holes to vent. Sprinkle top with fresh grated parmiggiano-reggiano cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, until top is golden brown.