Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a combination of several recipes, trying to balance the joys of a full-fat pot pie with the nutritional demands of a low-fat lifestyle.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 8 ounces carrots, chopped in 1/4-inch rounds
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 ounces frozen tiny peas
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups skim milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups low-fat biscuit mix (Bisquick Heart Smart)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat olive oil and butter in dutch oven. Add all vegetables but frozen peas and saute until slightly softened (5-10 minutes).
- Sprinkle flour across vegetables and saute over medium-low heat for another five minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth and 3 cups skim milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is thickened (anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped chicken and frozen peas. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 13x9 casserole dish spritzed with cooking spray.
- Combine Bisquick, eggs and milk in small bowl. Stir until mixed, then pour across top of casserole.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Oh, yum! I'm a pot-pie lover from way back when (yes, those little frozen jobs in aluminum pans), but I haven't made any from scratch. I was drawn to this because of its healthier ingredients and we were not disappointed! It was a bit time consuming, but well worth the effort. One thing I should've paid attention to: combine the topping ingredients JUST before pouring over the top. I made it up earlier and it got very thick and difficult to spread. Thanks so much for this, KLHquilts! MERP'd for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game.