3 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 40 mins
This is adapted from my grandmother's recipe. Old family favorite
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 5 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, tops with leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 slices bacon
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 3 carrots, cooked and diced
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can sweet peas, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (Pillsburys pie dough rolled out to fit the casserole dish)
- 1Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is done.
- 2Remove chicken, reserving 3 1/2 cup broth in Dutch oven; discard celery tops.
- 3Let chicken cool; skin, bone, and cut into bite size pieces.
- 4Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- 5Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- 6Saute green onions and chopped celery in hot drippings in skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender.
- 7Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup flour until blended.
- 8Gradually add reserved broth; cook whisking constantly 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 9Stir in chicken, bacon, eggs, and next 5 ingredients.
- 10Spoon mixture into a 3-quart baking dish; top with pie crust.
- 11Bake at 450 degrees 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 169.3 mg
- Sodium 976.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 28.6 g