1/1 Photo of Chicken Pot Pie
1 hr 25 mins
Goji Girl's Note:
The ultimate comfort food! I made this so often last winter - I had to take a break from it for a while. Watch out, you might become just addicted as I am! This recipe makes 2 pies, and they freeze wonderfully. When preparing, bake them only until the crust is just done, then cool completely. Freeze, and reheat them right from frozen. (Use care with a glass pie plate) It took approximately 45 minutes from frozen in the oven. Be sure to check the pies early!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups very cold water
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1Pastry Crust: Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- 2Use pastry cutter to cut in butter.
- 3Continue using pastry cutter till mixture is crumbly.
- 4Add cold water and stir till combined in a ball.
- 5Divide ball into 4 equal smaller balls.
- 6Roll one of the balls out on a floured surface, fold in half, lift, and place in pie plate.
- 7Open crust, cut off excess.
- 8Repeat with second ball of dough and second pie plate.
- 9Chill 2 remaining balls.
- 10Filling: Boil potato and carrots until just tender.
- 11In a large saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in butter till tender.
- 12Stir in flour, salt, marjoram, thyme, and pepper.
- 13Add chicken broth and milk all at once.
- 14Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 15Stir in thawed peas, carrots, potatoes, and chicken.
- 16Cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- 17Divide mixture between the two prepared pie plates.
- 18Roll out two remaining balls of dough for top crusts.
- 19Flute edges of pastry, cutting off excess dough.
- 20Cut slits for steam to escape.
- 21Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden brown & crispy.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.0
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.7 mg
- Sodium 679.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 18.1 g