The ultimate comfort food! I made this so often last winter - I had to take a break from it for a while. Watch out, you might become just addicted as I am! This recipe makes 2 pies, and they freeze wonderfully. When preparing, bake them only until the crust is just done, then cool completely. Freeze, and reheat them right from frozen. (Use care with a glass pie plate) It took approximately 45 minutes from frozen in the oven. Be sure to check the pies early!
Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups very cold water
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- Pastry Crust: Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Use pastry cutter to cut in butter.
- Continue using pastry cutter till mixture is crumbly.
- Add cold water and stir till combined in a ball.
- Divide ball into 4 equal smaller balls.
- Roll one of the balls out on a floured surface, fold in half, lift, and place in pie plate.
- Open crust, cut off excess.
- Repeat with second ball of dough and second pie plate.
- Chill 2 remaining balls.
- Filling: Boil potato and carrots until just tender.
- In a large saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in butter till tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, marjoram, thyme, and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in thawed peas, carrots, potatoes, and chicken.
- Cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Divide mixture between the two prepared pie plates.
- Roll out two remaining balls of dough for top crusts.
- Flute edges of pastry, cutting off excess dough.
- Cut slits for steam to escape.
- Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden brown & crispy.