Recipe by Goji Girl
The ultimate comfort food! I made this so often last winter - I had to take a break from it for a while. Watch out, you might become just addicted as I am! This recipe makes 2 pies, and they freeze wonderfully. When preparing, bake them only until the crust is just done, then cool completely. Freeze, and reheat them right from frozen. (Use care with a glass pie plate) It took approximately 45 minutes from frozen in the oven. Be sure to check the pies early!
Top Review by roseswigart
This rating is on the gravy. Which was delicious. Ran out of time and ended up with chicken, gravy and mashed potato. Thank you for a recipe that doesn't have a lot of packaged foods.
Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups very cold water
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 ounces frozen peas, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry Crust: Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Use pastry cutter to cut in butter.
- Continue using pastry cutter till mixture is crumbly.
- Add cold water and stir till combined in a ball.
- Divide ball into 4 equal smaller balls.
- Roll one of the balls out on a floured surface, fold in half, lift, and place in pie plate.
- Open crust, cut off excess.
- Repeat with second ball of dough and second pie plate.
- Chill 2 remaining balls.
- Filling: Boil potato and carrots until just tender.
- In a large saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in butter till tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, marjoram, thyme, and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in thawed peas, carrots, potatoes, and chicken.
- Cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Divide mixture between the two prepared pie plates.
- Roll out two remaining balls of dough for top crusts.
- Flute edges of pastry, cutting off excess dough.
- Cut slits for steam to escape.
- Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden brown & crispy.