Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great dinner in the winter time. The smell while it's cooking is amazing. My kids even eat this with the veggies in it. I make a double batch of this divide in half, cook 1 then freeze the other one until next time. You can also use turkey with this recipe. Or any vegetables that your family likes. I steam the carrots & green beans before adding to recipe so the cook time is less.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh green beans
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- Heat margarine in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in broth & milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil & stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken & vegetables. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes for the flavor to sink inches Check veggies to make sure they are done before adding to pie pan.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Arrange 1 pie dough in bottom of 9 inch pie plate. Pour chicken mixture into pie plate. Put the other pie dough on top of mixture. Arrange the top pie dough so that it's even on top. Using your fingers press the top & bottom dough sealing it. Then take a fork and press dough going around pan. Use aluminum foil to cover the edges of the crust so they don't burn. Using a fork poke holes in top layer dough for steam to escape while cooking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes and pie crust is golden brown.