Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
For the pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning, mix
- 2 tablespoons 2% low-fat milk
- 2 cups baby carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, chopped
- 3 cups chicken, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Rub together the shortening and the flour until you've got what looks like coarse ground oats. Add the cold water and gather the mixture into a ball. flatten the ball and cut it into four equal pieces. Coat each piece in flour.
- Make sure you have all of the ingredients at the ready.
- First melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has fully melted and starts bubbling, add the flour and all of the seasonings. Stir vigorously until the mixture has thickened and is fully mixed.
- Add the milk and the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. When the mixture starts to boil, shut off the heat and add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until they've all been coated by the mixture.
- Spoon into prepared (unbaked) pie crusts. Cover with second pie crust and roll together the edges, tucking them into the top of the pie. brush the top of the pie with milk (or soy milk) and cut steam vents into top. Cover with foil.
- Place the pie tins on a casserole dish and bake 30-40 minutes at 450, Remove the foil for the last few minutes of baking, to allow the crust to fully brown.