Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best Chicken pot pie I've ever tasted! It takes time to prepare but well worth it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup red peppers or 1 cup green pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- For Filling: In an oven going fry pan, cook mushrooms and peppers in 1 tbsp butter until tender.
- Take vegetables from pan.
- Melt remaining butter in fry pan; stir in flour and seasonings.
- Add chicken broth and milk; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables and corn and lemon juice.
- Keep hot in fry pan or 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sage biscuit topping: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sage and cumin in a mixing bowl.
- Cut shortening in until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until all flour is moistened.
- Shape into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll or pat into an 8 inch circle.
- Cut into 6 wedges. It is optional to mix together the cornsyrup and water and brush on the crust before baking if you prefer crust to be crispier.
- Place wedges on top of chicken mixture, bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until biscuit topping is done.
I must admit, that I only used the topping of this recipe (I made up the filling, my husband works at a restaurant where they serve chicken pot pie with the same kind of filling, so I made something a little different for the sake of his palate). But, the crust was DELISH! I had some leftover, so I rolled it out and cut it with my bat cookie cutter, and baked them for about 10-15 minutes. Will go great with the soup I am making tomorrow! If the crust is half as good as the pie recipe listed here, it must be incredible! Thanks for the great recipe!
Very good thank you.
Just wondering....in the list of ingredients corn syrup is listed, but in the directions, it says corn starch.Which is the correct one???Thanks