Luby Luby Luby's Note:
I found this recipe on the internet and did a little tweaking to make it just right. For ease of preparation and to save time I use Pillsbury's ready-made pie crusts. Also, feel free to substitute dark meat. DH likes boneless skinless thighs so I use that more than breasts. I just make sure to remove the fat before baking. Also, if you are not a fan of Tarragon don't put it. This is so versatile you can use seasonings of your choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced very thin
- 4 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 10 large button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Place the chicken in a 9x13-inch baking dish in a single layer.
- 3Pour the cream over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove the chicken from the cream, reserving cream for the sauce.
- 5Let chicken cool and dice into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- 6Place potatoes and carrots in large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- 7Bring water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat, drain off water and set aside.
- 9In large skillet melt 4 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- 10Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 30 minutes and set aside.
- 11In dutch oven melt remaining 5 tbsp butter and sauté onions and celery until transparent, approximately 30 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle the flour over onion/celery mixture and sauté, stirring constantly for 5 minutes but do not brown.
- 13Slowly add the white wine and chicken broth and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- 14Add reserved cream and all remaining seasonings and simmer gently for approximately 5 minutes.
- 15Add sautéed mushrooms, frozen peas, diced chicken and all remaining seasonings, mixing well.
- 16Gently fold in potatoes and carrots.
- 17Place crust in 9-inch pie plate.
- 18Add chicken filling.
- 19Top with remaining pie crust, folding under edges and crimping as desired.
- 20Cut 4 slits in top crust.
- 21Mix egg and water and gently brush over top crust.
- 22Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (932 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1444.4
- Calories from Fat 760
- Total Fat 84.4 g
- Saturated Fat 39.3 g
- Cholesterol 334.7 mg
- Sodium 1788.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 71.8 g