Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe on the internet and did a little tweaking to make it just right. For ease of preparation and to save time I use Pillsbury's ready-made pie crusts. Also, feel free to substitute dark meat. DH likes boneless skinless thighs so I use that more than breasts. I just make sure to remove the fat before baking. Also, if you are not a fan of Tarragon don't put it. This is so versatile you can use seasonings of your choice.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced very thin
- 4 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 10 large button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken in a 9x13-inch baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour the cream over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cream, reserving cream for the sauce.
- Let chicken cool and dice into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Place potatoes and carrots in large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain off water and set aside.
- In large skillet melt 4 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 30 minutes and set aside.
- In dutch oven melt remaining 5 tbsp butter and sauté onions and celery until transparent, approximately 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over onion/celery mixture and sauté, stirring constantly for 5 minutes but do not brown.
- Slowly add the white wine and chicken broth and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add reserved cream and all remaining seasonings and simmer gently for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, frozen peas, diced chicken and all remaining seasonings, mixing well.
- Gently fold in potatoes and carrots.
- Place crust in 9-inch pie plate.
- Add chicken filling.
- Top with remaining pie crust, folding under edges and crimping as desired.
- Cut 4 slits in top crust.
- Mix egg and water and gently brush over top crust.
- Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.