Recipe by Sabia
Another cooking class recipe. The addition of zucchini, bacon and italian seasoning give this pot pie a different twist. This is so flavoraful. If you want to, try this dish over pasta instead of in pie crusts. The ingredient amounts for bacon and mushrooms are estimates.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 -4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 10 ounces peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 4 deep dish pie shells, thawed
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or a combo of basil, oregano, garlic, sage and maybe thyme)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over low heat and add the flour. Cook and stir briefly and blend in the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Cook until bubbly.
- Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Continue stirring constantly until the sauce is of medium texture (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken, bacon, vegetables and Italian Seasoning.
- Pour in the bottom of two pie crusts and top with cheeses.
- Place the top crusts over the top. Pinch the sides and slit the tops.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.