1/2 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is from a casserole episode of Good Eats. I love the idea of using frozen puff pastry rounds on top instead of going to the trouble of making a bottom and top crust. The curry powder in the roux gives it a really unique flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables (I normally use a mix of corn, carrots, peas, and green beans)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and take the pastry out of the freezer to thaw slightly.
- 2Heat a sauté pan over medium heat with a little oil and sweat the celery and onion with a little salt.
- 3While that is softening, toss the veg medley with some canola oil, spread on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven.
- 4Push the celery and onion off to the side of the pan and add the butter, flour, and curry powder. Stir together until smooth and cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Heat the broth and milk in the microwave until close to boiling. Pour into the pan and bring to a boil (about 1 minute).
- 6Add the veggies and the chicken to the pan and stir.
- 7Move the mixture to a casserole dish, packing the mixture down to eliminate air bubbles.
- 8Open the puff pastry sheet, and seal the seams from the folds by pressing with your fingers, then roll out the sheet with a rolling pin.
- 9Using a fork, poke holes all over the dough, and then cut out rounds w/ a biscuit cutter (press straight down through the dough before turning the cutter). Space the rounds about 1 inch inches apart on the top of the casserole.
- 10Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.4
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.0 mg
- Sodium 414.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 19.8 g