Recipe by Sage
This is an old French Canadian recipe. My mother used to make this and I have been making it for my family.True comfort food. We call it "Bouilli". This same recipe is made using 3 pounds stewing beef that you brown and add to the second part of the meal. No need to make a broth. Make this when all the vegetables are in season.
Top Review by jmsullivan29
Fantastic. I was specifically looking for a Chicken Pot au Feu recipe, as I'd had it years ago, and still think about what a wonderful, comforting meal it was. This version lived up to my memory. I just made one change : instead of buillion cubes, I used half home made chicken stock and some vegetable demi glace I had on hand. I have to admit, I doubted whether it was necessary to remove the stock vegetables and start with fresh ones for the actual meal. But I did it, and the vegetables were much firmer and not overcooked vs most chicken soups. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I am making it again, 3 weeks later!
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped thyme
- chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 carrots, cut in 1/2
- 1⁄2 lb turnip, peeled and cut in 3-inch pieces
- 4 cups yellow beans, left whole
- 6 potatoes, cut in 1/2
- 3 celery ribs, cut in 2-inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine water, chicken broth, chicken, celery, onion, chopped carrot, peppercorns, parsley and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, turning the chicken once, until it is cooked through, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer the chicken to a platter; let cool.
- This can be made in your slow cooker at high for 4 hours.
- Remove the meat from the chicken and tear it into large pieces; refrigerate until ready to add to the pot.
- Strain the broth and return it to the pot.
- Add onions, carrots, turnip,potatoes,yellow beans salt and pepper.Cover and cook gently, for 3 hours.Add the boned chicken and simmer another 30 minutes. Serve.
- This can be made in your slow cook cooker.
- Assemble it in the morning and let in cook on Low for 7 hours; add cooked chicken last hour.
- Make sure you have bread to soad up the wonderful juice.
- MAKE AHEAD: The chicken broth can be made 2-3 days ahead. Refrigerate the chicken, stock separately.
- I have been making it in my slow cooker and letting the flavours mingle together all day.