1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a spicy Mexican soup that is sure to warm your tummy on a cold Winter's day! My daughter thinks that it's too spicy but the rest of us love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock (or all stock)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chile (Ancho, New Mex, Guadillo or pasilla)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 3/4 cup radish, sliced
- 3/4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1Bring 5 cups stock/water to boil in large saucepan.
- 2Add chicken; cover and simmer until cooked through, about 13 minutes.
- 3Using tongs, transfer chicken to platter; reserve cooking liquid in saucepan.
- 4Cool chicken slightly.
- 5Shred chicken and set aside.
- 6Add hominy, stewed tomatoes, oregano, jalapeno and hot pepper sauce to reserved cooking liquid.
- 7Bring to boil.
- 8Reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened, stirring often, about 1 hour.
- 9Stir in shredded chicken.
- 10Season with salt, pepper and additional hot pepper sauce, if desired.
- 11(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)
- 12Divide shredded lettuce, sliced radishes and sliced green onions equally among soup bowls.
- 13Ladle posole into each bowl.
- 14Top posole with grated Monterey Jack cheese and serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Posole
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.3
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 1004.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 31.7 g