Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Mexican-style soup is an entire meal. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months. You can make this soup with any pre-cooked chicken or turkey. We used store-bought rotisserie chickens, but leftover Thanksgiving turkey will work just as well. When reheating, the hominy may pop in the microwave, so the soup should be thawed overnight in the refrigerator, then reheated over low heat on the stove.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml tomato paste
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4 (1644.27 g) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 (1700.97 g) can white hominy, drained
- 1596.98 ml shredded cooked chicken (2 pounds) or 1596.98 ml turkey meat (2 pounds)
- coarse salt
- thinly sliced radish
- crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
- Heat oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
- Add 4 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.)
- To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.
OMG, this soup is delicious! It's better than the posole that my Mexican friend made me! The cabbage and avocado are the perfect garnishes for this soup. Next time, I'll also put some cilantro and lime in it. I thought 4 cans of hominy was too much so I only used 3 cans. It turned out great! Love this recipe!
What a great recipe!!! We have a local restaurant that makes this soup during the fall. I made it last night and my husband said it was just like our restaurants if not better. I shared this recipe with my coworker, she made it for her family & they all loved it. I will be sharing this one with other family & friends. For garnishments I used cabbage (thinly sliced), diced onions,cilantro(roughly chopped) & limes cut into small wedges.
Made this soup for the family this evening. Husband supposedly does not like hominy but there were no leftovers tonight. Only thing I did was added some chopped celery and cilantro to the broth and I ommited the chili powder. Will be making again.