Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious savory pastry from the Lion House Restaurant, with some minor changes. A company dish; it may be a little too rich for everyday! Serve with your favorite chicken gravy. This is a great substitute for chicken cordon bleu.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
To Brush on Pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- First make the piecrust. In a mixer, cream the fats. Add sugar, baking powder, salt and dry milk. Add half the flour and mix well. Add water and remaining flour. This can all be done in the mixer but don't mix it too much. (You can also use your own pie crust recipe with about the same amount of flour, or perhaps a flat refrigerated pie crust from the store, not the ones already in the pie tin.).
- Roll out pie crust and cut into 16 (5 inch) circles.
- Flatten chicken breasts--use a meat mallet or place between plastic wrap and roll flat with a rolling pin.
- Prepare filling. Melt butter in a pan. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic and saute until tender. Remove from heat and add parsley, salt and pepper.
- Divide filling between chicken breasts. Roll up breasts, tuck in ends, and place each breast on a pastry circle.
- Place a second circle on top. Seal the edges with a fork.
- Beat egg and salt together and brush on each pastry. Cut slit in top.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown. Serve with a chicken gravy or a clear chicken glaze.
Excellent. I wish I hade my camera, it looked great too! The crust was very flaky and the chicken was moist. It was like a party in your mouth. If you are rushed for time, try it with ready made pie crust. I served the chicken with roasted vegetables. It was a very elegant dinner.