Recipe by TasteTester
I found this recipe in our Publix supermarket ad and wanted to try it because I'd never had ponzu sauce before. Well, it made a wonderful dinner that we all enjoyed, and I served it with a side dish of carrots and sugar snap peas. (I've added directions for making roasted garlic, which I prepare ahead of time. When it cools, I separate individual cloves and squeeze out the creamy roasted garlic until I have the amount I need -- in this recipe, 2 teaspoons.) I roast the garlic ahead of time and start cooking the rice about 15 minutes before I start making the chicken ponzu. Cooking time includes the time for roasting the garlic and also for making the chicken ponzu.
Top Review by erm1715
I too found this recipe at Publix I bought the ingredients right away , We are having this dinner tonight along with carrots and sugar snap peas ... this recipe is awsome thanks for posting
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 of a green bell pepper
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces canned water chestnuts, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup kikkoman ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 -3 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- To make roasted garlic:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Peel off the outer layer of skin on a whole bulb of garlic. Do not peel individual cloves. Cut off about 1/2" across the top of the entire garlic bulb. Place onto a square of aluminum foil large enough to completely cover the bulb. Wrap the foil about halfway up the bulb and then drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Finishing wrapping the bulb in foil, making sure it is completely closed so that no oil or steam will escape.
- Place in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool. Separate the individual cloves and squeeze each one to remove the creamy roasted garlic.
- To make chicken ponzu:.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high heat 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add roasted garlic flesh, green onions and mushrooms. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mushrooms are browned.
- Meanwhile, cut the bell pepper half and the chicken into bite-size pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Move mushrooms to one side of pan; add chicken, bell peppers pieces, and water chestnuts. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chicken is browned.
- Stir in ponzu sauce and molasses; cook 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve mixture over rice.