Recipe by Karen in MA
From Every Day with Rachael Ray June-July 2008 prep time does not include marinating
Top Review by Monroe's Kitchen
Great recipe! I had a plum tree in my yard. So, with an abundance of plums to work with, I came across this recipe. Such a great combination of flavors! I've made it a few times and it turns out great every time. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 8 plums, quartered lengthwise (about 2 pounds)
- 1 red onion, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) boxplain instant couscous
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, jam, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to a bowl. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, boil for 2 minutes, then let cool.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium.
- Thread the chicken, plums and onion onto 8 skewers.
- Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally and basting frequently with the marinade during the first 6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in the olive oil and then the couscous, cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork, add the almonds and toss. Serve the couscous alongside the kebabs.