Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
This is a very satisfying lunch. The recipe is from a Chatelaine Magazine with several adaptations by me. If you are making these for kids buy the small pitas and just put one burger in each
- 1 small tomatoes, cut in half, seeds squeezed out and finely chopped (not pureed)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, membranes removed, finely minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (optional)
- 3 large whole wheat pita bread
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- tzatziki (your choice any, all, or others of your choice)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl mix the chicken with, yogurt, fresh coriander,ginger, curry, salt, dry coriander, cumin and cayenne. Use your hand to really mix spices, yogurt and chicken together.
- Sprinkle with tomato, jalapeno, and onions.
- Mix until everything is evenly blended.
- If the mixture is so wet that it clings to your hands stir in some bread crumbs Form the mixture into patties approx 2 1/2" by 1/2" thick.
- Spray a baking sheet with veggie oil.
- Place patties on the baking sheet single layer and bake in 400°F oven for approx 8 minutes. Turn patties over and bake for another 8 minutes or until they are cooked. Slice the pitas in half, wrap in foil and warm in the oven during the last few minutes that the patties are baking. Place 2 patties in each pita and top with your favorites (I love chopped sweet onion, lettuce, tomatoes, feta cheese and sliced olives).
I loved this burger! I used turkey because thats what I had, and didn't need to use the bread crumbs .. served it on a regular bun with lots of lettuce, tomatoes and mayo .. thanks!!
This was really good! I couldn't find fresh coriander so I used a little extra dried coriander, which might have been a little less flavorful. Next time I'm planning to add a little extra curry or some garlic. Great with tzatziki.
another great recipe from Bergy!! really enjoyed this one & will definitely make again. i didnt change a thing except i used white pita bread instead of brown coz thats what i had! thnx 4 a gr8 recpe