Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Extremely tasty and easy soup/chili recipe. Let it simmer all day for a thicker chili, or cook shorter and serve as more of a soup. It's great to make a big pot and have plenty of leftovers! I especially love eating this with tortilla or corn chips!
- 6 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cubbed bite sized
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Use a little oil to saute onion and garlic in a stock pot.
- Add oregano and cumin to the onions/garlic and cook for 1 minute to bring out the flavors in the spices.
- Add beans, broth, and seasoned salt. Bring to a decent boil and let cook about 2 hours.
- Through in the chopped chicken (raw) to the boiling beans and continue to cook at least 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. I normally let this cook even longer, about an hour with the chicken because it breaks down a little bit more. But it's really not needed and a lot of people prefer the chicken in larger pieces.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream and cilantro. Serve with your favorite chips if you'd like.