Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 1⁄2 lbs frying chickens
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw long-grain white rice
- Wash dry and cut the chicken into serving pieces.
- In an attractive cooking-serving casserole heat the butter and saute the chicken and the onion turning the chicken pieces constantly.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then add cinnamon, add tomato and enough water to almost cover the meat.
- Cover and simmer on top of the stove or bake in a moderate oven (350 F) for 40 minutes.
- Pour out the liquid measure and if necessary add enough water to make 3 cups.
- Pour back into the casserole add the rice and shake the pan a few times to mix the rice in.
- Continue cooking uncovered for 20 minutes longer or until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Remove from the heat and drape with a dry towel for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.