Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Peas other vegetables would also be very nice in this savory pie. Substitute turkey for the chicken, if you wish. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 cup carrot, cooked and diced
- 6 small onions, cooked
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 cup flour, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet potato (cold, mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, well beaten
- For the crust: Sift dry ingredients together.
- Work in mashed potato, melted butter and egg.
- Roll 1/4 inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange chicken, vegetables and parsley in layers in a casserole.
- Combine milk and chicken broth.
- Add flour slowly, blending well; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Season and pour over chicken and vegetables in a casserole.
- Cover with sweet potato crust and crimp edges attractively and pierce with a fork to release steam.
- Bake about 40 minutes.
This is a very good recipe, the only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars was that I haven't been able to get the crust to come out right. I have tried it twice, and both times had to add a bunch of extra flour to be able to roll it out at all. And both times ,when i tried to put it on top it folded over on itself. It is still very tasty, but seems to need quite a bit more than the reccommended flour in the crust.
Oh Yes!!! We all thought this dish was just divine. To get the cooked chicken required, I used chicken breasts (on the bone and with skin on), boiled them in a little water to which I added about 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of apple juice, and this formed the basis of the stock used later to make the sauce - VERY TASTY. I aso added my diced onions and carrots to the chicken & stock towards the end of the cooking so that they also absorbed this flavour. The sweet potato pastry is tasty and filling - real "stick to the ribs" fare. This is definitely going into my Tried and Tested Hits!! Thank you for a "flavour-full" recipe.