Prep 7 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a great chicken pie to make for large suppers or to make as a fundraiser. The prep. time is based on having at least four cooks working on this project
- 15 lbs chicken, skinned and cut into pieces
- 40 lbs chicken breasts, bone-in and skinned
- 50 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (Yukon Gold or Sheprody)
- 25 lbs frozen peas
- 12 lbs onions, peeled and chopped
- 30 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1⁄2 lb salt
- 2 1⁄2 ounces pepper
- 2 1⁄2 ounces onion powder
- flour (and water slurry to thicken gravy)
- 10 lbs flour
- 6 lbs lard
- 6 eggs
- In a large pot or pressure cooker (Follow your manufactures instructions) cook whole chicken pieces until the meat falls off the bone (Cook these chicken pieces with half the onions, seasoned w/ S& P, include cage but w/out giblets, etc. ).
- Save liquid for gravy.
- Cool meat thoroughly and pick chicken from bones.
- Boil chicken breasts and almost all the remaining onion (reserve 1 1/2 cup onion for gravy) in boiling water.
- Season w/ S& P.
- Save liquid.
- Cool thoroughly and pick meat from bones.
- Cook carrots and potatoes in chicken breast liquid until tender.
- Season w/ S& P.
- Remove veggies from liquid& cool them completely.
- Reduce chicken/vegetable liquid by half.
- Skim all fat from whole chicken broth.
- Add to vegetable liquid.
- Add remaining onions and bring to a slow boil.
- Season w/ S& P plus add onion powder.
- Prepared a gallon of flour/water gravy slurry.
- Slowly whisk in and cook until gravy is thick.
- Cool completely.
- When all ingredients are cooled completely, set out 25 foil pans (9x13x2).
- Distribute chicken, potatoes and carrots among all the pans.
- Add frozen peas on top.
- Stir a bit.
- Cover each w/ gravy and cover w/ tin foil.
- Chill thoroughly (At this point you can freeze these pies and cover w/ crust later. I do this when using this recipe for fund raising).
- Crust: In six bowls make the following: 5 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 lb lard, 1 egg, and water.
- Mix first three ingredients until the texture resembles corn meal.
- Beat one egg in a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Fill cup with water to make 1 full cup.
- Mix well, chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out.
- Each batch will make approximately 4 crusts for the 9 x13 pies.
- Cover chilled chicken pies with crust, crimp and cut vents with knife.
- Bake fresh pies at 350 F for 45 mininues plus or until crust is golden and chicken bubbling (This crust can be placed on frozen chicken mixture and be refrozen).
- Bake frozen pies for 70 minutes plus until crust is golden and chicken bubbling.
- PLEASE make sure you have ample refrigeration room.
- Take care to chill these ingredients well in small batches in shallow pans.
- If you try to mix hot ingredients and put in the fridge, they will start to sour.
- I use clean frozen gallon jugs to make sure internal temp of the containers is cooled at the same rate at external temp.
If you don't have a pressure cooking don't worry. Simply stew the chicken for a longer time. What matters is that it cooks long enough to have the flavor released from the bones.