Recipe by JoyfulCook
Made on the spur of the moment - a delicate chicken pie, loaded with flavor and diced vegetables, so easy to make. Wonderful comfort food and easy on the pocket too - Chicken thighs have loads of flavor and are much cheaper
Top Review by ~Leslie~
Just delicious! We made this recipe with just a couple of minor changes. We decided that for catering, it would work better for us to make individual pot pies, with the pastry on the bottom instead of the top. First, we lined some square muffin pans with the puff pastry, then added the filling as written. We then piped some mashed potatoe on top so that it was a complete meal. Baked this for 25 minutes and it was a hit! We loved this, and the changes we made did not affect the basic, delicious recipe. Thanks so much for posting Joy! Made for Aussie Swap :)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 750 g chicken thighs
- 1 brown onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery rib, small dice
- 150 g carrots, small dice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, approx
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- cayenne pepper, a few shakes (optional)
- 0.5 (17 ounce) packet puff pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- This pie does not have a lining of pastry only a lid on the top.
- Skin the Chicken and take out any bone - this should leave you with at least 500 grams of meat. cut into chunks.
- Dice the Carrots, celery and Onions. Crush garlic into the onion.
- Flour the diced chicken and seal half in a skillet with a small amount of oil pan until it changes color, repeat until all the chicken has been done. place in a bowl.
- Add some oil into your skillet or non stick frying pan, and slowly sauté the onions, garlic, carrot and the celery for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the Stock Cubes, seasoning and hot water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the vegetables and simmer for a further 15 minutes. a few shakes of Cayenne pepper does bring the flavor out - use sparingly.
- Add The frozen peas and parsley, and stir. the filling should not need thickening.
- Place in a pie dish and roll out the pastry and place on top.
- Cook in a Hot oven for approx 30 minutes.
- You can make a smaller pie and freeze the other half of the filling.
- Serve with Garlic mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice.