1/2 Photos of Chicken Pie - Cheap and Cheerful
1 hr 15 mins
Made on the spur of the moment - a delicate chicken pie, loaded with flavor and diced vegetables, so easy to make. Wonderful comfort food and easy on the pocket too - Chicken thighs have loads of flavor and are much cheaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 750 g chicken thighs
- 1 brown onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery rib, small dice
- 150 g carrots, small dice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water, approx
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- cayenne pepper, a few shakes (optional)
- 0.5 (17 ounce) packet puff pastry
- 1This pie does not have a lining of pastry only a lid on the top.
- 2Skin the Chicken and take out any bone - this should leave you with at least 500 grams of meat. cut into chunks.
- 3Dice the Carrots, celery and Onions. Crush garlic into the onion.
- 4Flour the diced chicken and seal half in a skillet with a small amount of oil pan until it changes color, repeat until all the chicken has been done. place in a bowl.
- 5Add some oil into your skillet or non stick frying pan, and slowly sauté the onions, garlic, carrot and the celery for at least 5 minutes.
- 6Add the Stock Cubes, seasoning and hot water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the vegetables and simmer for a further 15 minutes. a few shakes of Cayenne pepper does bring the flavor out - use sparingly.
- 7Add The frozen peas and parsley, and stir. the filling should not need thickening.
- 8Place in a pie dish and roll out the pastry and place on top.
- 9Cook in a Hot oven for approx 30 minutes.
- 10You can make a smaller pie and freeze the other half of the filling.
- 11Serve with Garlic mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pie - Cheap and Cheerful
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 864.4
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 157.8 mg
- Sodium 934.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable stock cubes
herbes de provence