Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the "best" homemade chicken pie recipe that I've come across. Put it on your recipe list because you'll be using it often!
- pie crust, enough for bottom and top of large pie pan (I use the frozen crust)
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- leftover vegetables (such as broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, spinach)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chunk-chopped (If using fresh veggies, parboil or steam slightly before using)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- Place bottom crust into large pie pan, with 2-3 inch overhang.
- Fill bottom of pan with chopped chicken.
- Layer with leftover veggies and tomatoes.
- In a bowl, mix seasonings with sour cream, cream, and pour over veggies.
- Top with cheddar or jack cheese.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges well, and make a couple of slits on top crust.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until top is brown and pie is bubbling.
YUMMY!!! Best chicken pie recipe I've done! I used small diced potatoes, carrots, and peas. Added fresh minced garlic, served a side of steamed broccoli. A great meal! Thanks!
WOW!! This was very rich!! I cut the recipe in half, for two of us. I cut back the calories a bit by not putting a bottom crust on, top crust only. Used an oriental veggie mix, including sliced water chestnuts, which gave it a little crunch. Also used 2 fresh garlic cloves, smashed instead of powder. We enjoyed it but I think if I make it again I would use just milk, instead of cream and half the sour cream and cheese. Interesting but sooo rich!!
I'm overdue in writing in on this one but I wanted to say that this has become a staple in my house! It's my other half's most requested dish and I've made it for him over and over. I omit the tomatoes but vary the other veggies as you suggest. I often add potatos to make it extra hearty. I highly recommend the recipe to others. This is a keeper!