Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I've been making this recipe since I was first married over 27 years ago and it is still a family favorite. I made a turkey for our first Christmas and used this for the leftovers after seeing the recipe in a Campbell's soup ad. Now we actually prefer it made with chicken, so I almost always roast 3 birds at a time so there will be leftovers to make 2 pies. This is wonderful served with cranberry sauce and with leftover mashed potatoes and gravy. The preperation time doesn't include making your pie crust.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen French style green bean
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2-1 cup sliced celery (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups turkey, cooked and cubed, dusted with
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts, use your favorite recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Steam onion, carrots, celery with butter and spices until the carrots are tender, the microwave works great for this.
- In a large bowl stir together the cooked veggies and all the other ingriedients.
- Line a pie plate with the bottom crust, pour in filling, cover with top crust, turn under edges and crimp, cut steam holes in top crust. Bake 45 minutes, top crust should be lightly golden brown. NOTE: Recipe can be doubled to make 2 pies.
I made a vegan version of this using "Lightlife" Chick'n style strips and instead of the soup, I used Rice milk & soy flour, instead of butter I used a bit of Olive Oil and I SKIPPED THE CRUST entirely to save a zillion calories, sugar and carbs. (Sorry, diabetes runs in my family, my grandparents both died horrible deaths from diabetes and I'm not willing to eat anything unecessary because it could cost me my sight or my fingers or my legs or all of the above) Besides - it's the stuff on the inside that's the GOOD STUFF! When I say good stuff, I mean - I went for 2nds!!! Oh, I also used a combo of both dried and fresh sage and thyme and also some White Pepper. This recipe reminds me of a version of a vegan chicken pot pie I posted LOL! Great minds think alike I suppose! Plus, I'm a lover of British foods, which include a LOT of sinful dishes like meat pies, so it's nice to find another meat pie recipe that you can lighten up. So, everyone should keep this as a go-to meal, I know I will :-)
Surprisingly good! I added one cooked, cubed potato and 1/4 tsp oregano. I used frozen mixed vegetables instead of the green beans and carrot. I made Ina Garten's pie crust recipe and had to grab the plate back from DS to get the picture. They had already wolfed down just about all of it by the time I got back with the camera. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.
My favourite with mashed potatoes and gravy on the side!