Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from Rachael Rae and quickly became a favorite at my house. I like it because it uses less fats than the usual fettuccine recipes I have made in the past. I usually add broccoli florets that I toss into the pasta for a few minutes at the end of it's boiling time. Great 1-dish meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup stock
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lb penne rigate, cooked to al dente
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute.
- Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine.
- Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.