I love Italian food! There is so much more to it than spaghetti and meatballs, pizza, and lasagna. This is one of my favorite dishes, which is so quick and easy to make. The dish originally hails from Milan, a city in northern Italy. The main components of the dish are chicken or veal, garlic, white wine, lemon juice, butter, capers, and parsley. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :) Delizioso!!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (white wine can also be substituted)
- 1⁄4 cup brined capers, rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Heat a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat for a minute, then add the olive oil and heat for another 30 seconds or so. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until the onion is slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and set them aside.
- Stretch a piece of plastic wrap across your work surface, place the chicken breast filets on it, and lay another piece of plastic wrap on top. Then, using a meat mallet, flatten the chicken breasts between the layers of plastic wrap until they are about ¼ inch thick.
- Add the butter to the pan and let it heat until it turns foamy.
- In a shallow baking dish or even a plate, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Now dredge both sides of the chicken breast filets in the flour mixture, shake off any excess flour and add them, one at a time, to the hot pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until they are nicely browned. Remove them from the pan and set aside on a plate, covered with foil, while you make the sauce.
- Add the lemon juice stock, and sherry to the pan, scraping off any flavorful bits from the bottom of the pan. Then return the onion-garlic mixture to the pan and heat it through.
- Return the chicken to the pan, bring the liquid to a boil, then lower it to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by about one-third. Add the capers, parsley, and green onions. Cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Serve with angel hair pasta.