Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
from All Recipes
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped fresh
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 italian-style hoagie rolls, split lengthwise and toasted
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled, divided
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped fresh, divided
- Combine chicken, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add yellow bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and balsamic vinegar and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms and 1 tablespoon basil into chicken mixture and cook until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Add mozzarella cheese and pesto sauce; toss to coat. Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture into toasted buns and top each sandwich with 1/4 cup feta cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil.
Oh, wow! Super good. We used less of the crushed red pepper and more basil, and omitted the mozzarella (the feta was plenty of cheese for us). The pesto and feta really make this sandwich special. We really enjoyed the combination. Thank you!
This sandwich is great. With so many flavors going on, it actually has so many flavors going on. It is well balance and you can taste everything in it. The only change I made was to put the pesto on the bread instead of mix it in the pan with the other ingredients.
This was great. Better than expected as we aren't big fans of Pesto. Had a nice crisp flavor! Made for PRMR! THANKS