1/1 Photo of Chicken Pesto Grilled Sandwiches/Paninis-Original & Lighter
Sweet Diva's Note:
I make these on a large electric T-Fal griddle so that I can make the whole family's meal at once. Instructions are given based on cooking in this manner, but these could easily be made on a grill or Panini grill as well. The pesto recipe is a little thicker than I normally make it to prevent the oil inthe pesto from saturating the bread before the sandwich is done. Cook and prep time include time for making pesto and marinade, but do not include the time needed to marinate the chicken, so plan ahead! You'll be glad you did! :) **We really like this sandwich (created for RSC#11), but not the Nutritional Facts! If you would like to lighten it up a bit, instuctions are at the bottom of the page......
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups spinach leaves, fresh
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, large, peeled and cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch s thick strips
- 1For pesto, combine first six ingredients in a food processor.
- 2Process until finely chopped; gradually pour in olive oil and process until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 3For chicken marinade, combine all marinade ingredients (using 1/4 cup of the pesto you just made and reserving remaining pesto for later use). Place marinade and chicken in a bowl or zip-top plastic bag. Make sure chicken is thoroughly covered; refrigerate 6-8 hours.
- 4Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- 5In a nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 2 Tablespoons oil over med-high heat, about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove chicken and divide into 6 equal portions; set aside.
- 6Drain tomatoes.
- 7In same skillet that you cooked the chicken in, saute mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes in remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon white wine until mushrooms are tender and liquid is absorbed; divide into 6 equal portions; set aside.
- 8Separate thinly sliced Gouda into 6 equal portions.
- 9Cut 12 slices, 1/2" thick, from Italian bread loaf.
- 10For each sandwich, do the following:.
- 11Take two slices of bread; spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each slice.
- 12On one slice of bread, layer chicken strips, mushroon/tomato mixture, and then Gouda slices.
- 13Place remaining bread slice, pesto side down on top of cheese.
- 14Spread approximately 1 teaspoon butter on top bread slice.
- 15Place, buttered side down, on preheated griddle or grill.
- 16With a spatula, press down on the sandwich - just to kind of "smoosh" it together, and while it is cooking, spread approximately 1 teaspoon butter on top slice of bread. Grill approximately 5 minutes, flip and grill approximately 3-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and crispy.
- 17Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
- 18***Lighter version***.
- 19For pesto sauce, substitute 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth for the olive oil and omit the salt (if using low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, you may not want to omit the salt) and reduce pine nuts to 1/3 cup or omit altogether (if you want to go even lighter).
- 20Proceed with recipe as instructed.
- 21Reduce Gouda to 6-8 ounces (depending on your preference for cheesiness), thinly slice and proceed with recipe instructions.
- 22Omit the butter that is spread on top of the bread before grilling and instead use a lighter spread - I use Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread w/ Flax, or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (No fat or calories in this one).
- 23Depending on which and how many of the suggested changes you make, you could cut the fat and calories significantly and still have a tasty panini. :).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pesto Grilled Sandwiches/Paninis-Original & Lighter
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 816.0
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.1 mg
- Sodium 1189.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 37.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: