Recipe by Julie in TX
This is a good recipe to use when you're having guests. You can serve it with mashed potatoes or noodles. I usually serve it with noodles and seldom have leftovers. From the Good Housekeeping Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 8 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- About 1 hour before serving:.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter or margarine in 12
- inch skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan.
- In hot remaining 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cook mushrooms until the mushrooms are golden.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove mushrooms to small bowl.
- Into drippings, over medium heat, stir flour and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and half & half and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
- Place chicken and mushrooms in sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender.