Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like roasting chickens on one of those upright stands. Flavors run down thru the poultry, and excess fat drains out; and you can watch it turn nice and brown as it cooks. Herbs and spices can be added to the pepperoni when "stuffing". Carve and serve this dish with your favorite pasta and marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Wash and dry chicken.
- Loosen skin from body in areas of the neck, armpits and legs.
- Evenly slide pepperoni pieces between skin and body, starting at the top, working down.
- Salt and pepper bird, tuck the wings in.
- Slide chicken onto roasting stand, brush with oil.
- Place in 400 oven for 20 minutes.
- Lower heat to 325 and finsh out the hour.
- Remove from oven, let rest 15 minutes.
- Carve into 8's (or cut in half, for 2 people).
DH and I enjoyed this very much. We have been on a low carbohydrate diet and found this to be an excellent choice for that type of diet. The pepperoni gave the chicken that little extra "pizazz". We probably used more than 1/2 cup pepperoni and added extra cajun seasoning.