Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This takes some time but is a great recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (20 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon meat tenderizer (optional)
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash basil
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Pound chicken breasts flat with a meat mallet.
- Sprinkle meat tenderizer and "massage" into chicken breasts.
- Season to taste with oregano, basil, pepper and any other herbs of your choice.
- Lay 4-5 pepperoni on each chicken breast, sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll up chicken breasts and fasten with toothpicks.
- Place chicken in baking dish.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hr until chicken is thoroughly baked.
- Remove dish, sprinkle leftover mozzarella cheese on top of chicken. Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Very good dish. Used a meat thermometer to judge the doneness of the chicken, but it was less than 90 minutes. Delicious, but I think next time I'll use a can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning to pour over the chicken. That was my only complaint--the spaghetti sauce on top of the chicken cooked down and got too thick. Served with whole wheat pasta and ladled the remaining sauce over the noodles. Very nice. Also skipped the meat tenderizer, as other reviewers did.
Very good. I made these up the night before, put it in a deep glass pie plate in the fridge, and then baked the dish after work. Everything was done after about 45 mintues (my chicken was fairly thin)-- I think baking it an hour and a half would have turned it into charcoal! I subbed tomato sauce and added additional seasonings to it because I didn't have any spaghetti sauce... it was a little thin, but it worked. I skipped the meat tenderizer. I think this would make a nice dish for company, and I know I'll be making it again. Thanks for sharing!
I did this the lazy way. I bought thin sliced chicken breasts from the butcher, stuffed them as directed, then just folded them over, piled them in the crockpot, poured the sauce over and let it go. Delicious. I did not use the meat tenderizer.