Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best casserole! I use frozen vegetables, whole wheat penne, and olive oil spray and it comes out excellent! It won't disappoint!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry penne pasta
- 16 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic, and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. Toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layer.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer.
Although I pretty much followed your recipe right on down, I did use a homemade pasta sauce that included both sweet & mild Italian sausage, & that, along with the chicken made for a very satisfying meal (actually two, since there were just 2 of us)! You have a great recipe here! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]