Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A bit like chipped beef on toast, only with chicken and nuts. Or this would be good over some egg noodles or rice instead. Prep and cook times are approximate.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 toasted English muffins, halves or 4 toasted bread
- pecan halves (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan, cover chicken breasts with water (season the water with salt and pepper if desired) and bring to a boil, cooking until no traces of pink remain throughout.
- Drain the water and place chicken breast on a cutting board to cool.
- Melt the butter/margarine in the saucepan.
- Add boullion granules and blend in the flour and poultry seasoning.
- Pour in the milk and lemon juice while stirring and cook over med-low heat; stirring constantly until thickened.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-size strips and add it to the saucepan along with the celery, bell pepper and pecans.
- Cook over low heat until the mixture is heated through.
- Spoon it over your choice of toasted bread (noodles or rice would be good too) and garnish with pecan halves.