Recipe by Teresa in CO
I concocted this recipe as an amalgamation of a few other recipes I came across that didn't quite have *everything* that I like. This one combines all the things I like into one. It's salty and sweet and spicy all in one. Use 2 cups of whatever veggies you like- I like bell peppers, onions, and broccoli, but I bet zucchini would be good in there too! I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (or lite coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (red chili or garlic paste)
- 2 tablespoons hot curry powder (or equivalent of red curry paste)
- 8 ounces water
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups bell peppers or 2 cups mixed mushrooms or 2 cups onions or 2 cups broccoli or 2 cups zucchini
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic (fresh, minced, or jarred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop veggies into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together flour and oil over low heat. When it starts to bubble, add all sauce ingredients (all in the ingredients list from coconut milk down to soy sauce) and whisk periodically.
- Heat sauce until it starts to boil lightly. Continue to whisk. Let it boil for a minute or two, until thickened slightly, and then remove from heat.
- While the sauce is cooling down, heat 2 T olive oil in a larger frying pan or skillet, over medium or medium/hot heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the veggies and stirfry 2-5 minutes, depending on which veggies you chose, until they are crisp-tender.
- When the veggies are just done, add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds longer.
- Remove veggies from pan and place in a bowl or on a large plate.
- Add 1 T of olive oil to the pan and add chicken. Stirfry for 2-3 minutes, until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, lower the heat and add the veggies back to the frying pan.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and veggies and stir until heated.
- Serve over saffron rice or plain steamed rice.