Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I believe this recipe came from a "Taste of Home" magazine. I wanted a good chicken pasta recipe to serve for a dinner at church and this filled the bill just right. It was a big hit and several ladies asked for the recipe. The recipe original recipe made enough for 25, so I scaled it down some. The Cool Whip in the dressing gave it an interesting flavor.
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 package cooked small shell pasta
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups seedless grapes (red or green)
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (optional)
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup Cool Whip
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- In a large bowl combine all of the salad ingredients.
- Combine the dressing ingredients except for the cashews and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Chill at least one hour.
- Fold in cashews just before serving.
I also found this in Taste of Home and everyone loves it...with a couple changes.I skipped the pineapple and eggs and added 2 cans of mandarin oranges(well drained) and shredded cheddar cheese instead. No matter where I take this salad,everyone wants the recipe! Now, 1 year later, in the middle of our WORST snow storm (Milwaukee,WI) I realized that I didn't rate this!!!
this is great,the taste is out of this world,although we cant get coolwhip here in new zealand i replaced it with fresh chives & left out the nuts as i am selling this in my retail business and is going great.
This salad was part of my baby shower menu, it turned out great! Everyone loved it! I made it as written with one execption,I left out the water chestnuts, only because the Mom-to-be doesn't care for them. When I make it now for my family I will use all ingredients. Thanks for a great recipe.