Recipe by Bergy
You can make this sauce ahead and freeze it do it the day before or just before you want to serve it. I like to serve this dish with a crisp green salad, Italian dressing and warm crusty rolls
Top Review by lauralie41
I made the pasta sauce the day before and it was so good! I only used one jalapeno pepper without the seeds, omitted the hot sauce, and used vegetable broth instead of chicken. Simmered the sauce until thickened, the kitchen smelled wonderful! This pasta recipe is a keeper...thank you Bergy!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or sustitute with 1/4 cup tomatoe juice)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (use more or less)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped (1/4" size chop)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I use a very hot Chili based sauce. It depends on your taste preference - Hor sauce is Optional)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb penne
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese or asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the Bacon bits until crisp, remove from pan drain on Paper towel.
- Drain grease from the skillet and return 1 tbsp of the grease back into the skillet Saute the onion, carrot, celery& carlic for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent Pour in the wine and reduce by half (if you are substituting with tomato juice do NOT add it now) Add Chicken and stir well breaking up any clumps, cook apprx 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and lightly browned Add Jalapenos& red pepper.
- mix well.
- Drizzle in the cumin, oregano, hot sauce (if using)& bacon bits.
- Pour in the tomato sauce& chicken stock (If you are substituting the wine with tomatoe juice add it now) Bring to a boil, add lid, lower heat and simmer for 1 hout, stir occasionally Remove lid, taste and add Salt& pepper and continue to simmer until the sauce has a rich thick consistency (apprx. 1 hour) stir occasionally.
- Your timing here will depend on how high a heat you used.
- You may have to add a bit more wine or tomato juice or the sauce may be cooked a bit quicker Meanwhile cook the Penne according to the instuctions on the package.
- Serve the Sauce over the Penne.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese at the table.