Recipe by R. Warren Meddoff
Easy, one pot meal. Extra flavorful comfort food. One of the best Italian soup recipes you'll ever find.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled Italian tomatoes
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, un-drained
- 5 ounces ditalini, cooked according to package directions (tiny tubes, about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté’ celery, carrots, garlic and onions in oil about a minute. Add water and let vegetables steam another minute. Stir in chicken broth & tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken tenders. Stir in cannelloni beans and their liquid, return to simmer and cook, stirring once, another 7 minutes. Stir in ditalini, return to a simmer and cook an additional 3 minutes. Serve hot garnished with Parmigiano cheese.