Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from The Comfort Food Diet cookbook of Taste of Home. This is so yummy. Maybe another time I'll use less pasta. I used dried basil but it would be great with fresh basil. I roasted a red bell pepper and used it in this recipe.
Top Review by Annacia
I was expecting this to be tasty but it was even more yummy that I had thought. I didn't use the red pepper as I found it past the point of appealing and continued without it. I did cut the beans as ask but the chicken was in larger pieces. The sauce, though simple, was delicious and this doesn't take all day to make. I will most certainly make this again.
- 4 cups uncooked spiral shaped pasta (I used macaroni)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I steamed them)
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 2 minutes (I steamed them cause I didn't want them crispy). Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in 2 tsp oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute red peppers and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, 1/2 cup milk, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Add chicken to the pepper mixture. Combine cornstarch and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta mixture; toss with the sauce. Srinkle each serving with 1 tbs cheese.